East Wing Roof Replacement, Seaton Delaval Hall, Seaton Sluice, Northumberland

 

Client: The National Trust Project Value: £605,644.86 Contract Duration:  November 2012 – May 2013

 This project involved the removal and replacement of the existing east wing roof of Grade 1 listed Seaton Delaval Hall, designed by Sir John Vanburgh and completed in 1728 by the then owner, Francis Blake Delaval. The architectural importance of the building, one of the architect’s greatest surviving works, required a very dedicated on-site team and a highly professional approach. Working closely with our client the National Trust, our site team [which included a specialist stonemason sub-contractor], successfully delivered the project on time and to programme.

 To protect the building’s interior and to allow work to continue through the winter months, we erected a bespoke fully enclosed scaffold and canopy which covered the entire roof structure giving us the ability to remove the damaged roof structure and repoint and replace defective and weathered stonework. Our work to the roof was closely monitored by the Trust’s Operations Manager and careful resin repairs to the existing damaged roof timbers were undertaken wherever possible, retaining as much of the original fabric as possible. However time and the vagaries of the north east weather meant that rotten joists trusses and purlins had to be replaced with new and the whole structure was treated with an approved preservative on completion.  

 A new stainless steel and lead roof finish, replacement of all existing rainwater goods with cast iron, repointing and replacement of spalled masonry completed the external works along with repairs to the timber windows. Internal repairs were carried out to the existing lath and plaster ceilings and external soffits.

 The work was completed to the entire satisfaction of the National Trust team and PF Burridge  were extremely pleased to have worked on such a prestigious Nationally important heritage asset which is also a very much loved local landmark building.

 .

Comments are closed.